We finally overcame the mental hurdle of super-sizing our tiny house to meet the 500 square foot zoning requirements. We still stuck with our original plan of a studio-style layout but we’ve added a small area in the back that can be used for all of our hiking, camping and kayak gear.
We are now in the refinement process – how to fit 10 pounds of stuff in a 5-pound bag. In the next couple of weeks, we will post some of the steps we took in downsizing the amount of “stuff” we have, identifying the amount of space we truly needed for each living area and the appliance selection process.
We took a different approach to identifying our space requirements by estimating each space based on the time we spend in them. Below is a breakdown of how much time we spend in each room each day.
Bedroom – 8.5 hours per day
Living Room – 2.5 hours per day
Kitchen – 2 hours per day
Bathroom – 1.5 hours per day
The rest – “working for the man”
I left the “working for the man” out of the graph because it would put a damper on the rest of the night.
Splitting up the 500 sq feet – 100 sq feet for our recreational gear gave us roughly 40 sq ft for a bathroom, 56 sq ft for a kitchen, 68 sq ft for a living room and 236 sq ft for a bed (seems like a lot for a bed).
Next, we listed the “like to have” items for each room–the “living big in a tiny space” items.
Living room – 60″ TV and a couch
Kitchen – open floor plan
Bathroom – 30″ x 60″ shower and closet for storage / cat box
Bedroom – 72″ x 84″ California king (includes bed space for three cats)
With this in mind, we adjusted the target size for each room to 25% for the bathroom and the remaining 75% for one room that contains the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom.
Based on the big house, we already knew what we wanted for a bathroom layout so the focus became the kitchen/bedroom/living room area. Time to check out Pinterest for ideas and get out a roll of painter’s tape to give us a visual idea of the layout!
Check out the Small House Construction Series!
Small House Construction, Part 1
Small House Construction, Part 2
Small House Construction, Part 3
Small House Construction, Part 4